Can hours of work change without reason?Thursday 30 January, 2020
Hours of work
It can be tricky for everyone when an employee’s hours need to be changed. An employer cannot make unilateral changes to an employee's working conditions without discussion and even if the employment agreement says that an employer can change the hours of work, they still must act fairly and reasonably before doing so. The main thing to bear in mind is that if hours of work are to be changed from what is in the employment agreement, this should be agreed to in writing.
- Expect employees to be available when required when they haven’t committed to any hours of work
- Expect employees to be available with reasonable compensation
- Cancel a shift without reasonable notice or reasonable compensation
What else is considered to be work?
- after hours team meetings
- opening and closing businesses
- cleaning and tidying up
- on-the-job training
- product familiarisation
This means employees should be compensated for these!
This article does not purport to be legal advice. Get a second opinion, and if there are any uncertainties call us directly. We assume no liability for reliance on this post.